Kopf D

40 The St. Joseph Hospital

Das St. Joseph - Krankenhaus

Under the Catholic priest Friedrich Meyer, the building was set up as a hospital during the First World War. It was thus the successor to the „Old Hospital“ (Station 4 of the Mining Trail), which was only in operation from 1854 to 1856.
The medical director of the newly established hospital was the doctor practising in Ramsbeck. Franciscan sisters from the motherhouse in Olpe took over the care of the sick. The hospital was closed in 1962.

In 1972, Dr Dieter Hegemann bought the building in which he set up his medical practice until 1998. His successors also continued to practise in this building for some time. After they had moved into a newly built, modern medical centre nearby, a joint Caritas and Diakonie social centre was established in the rooms of the former hospital, while the first floor was converted into rented flats.

This building was erected in 1898 and belonged to the operating and residential facilities of the Stolberger Zink AG mining company. The immediate location on the main road (today Heinrich-Lübke-Straße) gives an indication of the original function of the building. Under the part of the building at the front resting on pillars was the plateau of a weighing machine for carts, on which the freight was weighed for the factory warehouses, among other things.